Author Topic: Mazda B2600 - Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' - the Earl Scheib way!  (Read 9870 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: Turning a 'sow's ear into a silk purse' -- the Earl Scheib way!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
The rear bumper on this thing is totally gone. Time for a redneck rebuild. First I needed to dissect it to see what was still salvageable......

.... apparently not much!! -- LOL   -- RUST & RUST!!

The lower tube was totally gone, but the heavy steel frame mounting brackets were OK -- so I cut them out and cleaned them up with a grinder. Thank God for plasma cutters !!

At the end of two hours this is what was left -- upper tubes are OK, lower totally gone.

Lots of rust to grind, but this ting is still salvageable. You just can't find an OEM bumper for a 1988 B2600 anymore.

Now for the rebuild -- I thought I had a few drops of 3" steel tubing left, but they went bye-bye to the neighbor last year for two fence posts. They would have been perfect; time for another plan. Thanks to our old friend Bob (Heiny57) I'm in possession of a wide assortment of angle iron that he kindly gave ti me after he finished a job in my neck of the woods some years ago. I decided to use 2-1/2" x 1/4" angle iron to fab up anew lower bumper. Heavy duty for sure, and it will be stronger than the OEM tube.

Thanks again for the steel Bob -- it comes in handy for these type of redneck engineering jobs.

I'm going to use the angle iron to make a box and use the box as the lower tube. All I have to do is mod the round profile on the mounts and make them square to receive the angle iron.

Time to weld and to take that rounded tube mount and make it square

All tacked in place

Done -- I put some black oil based primer on the bumper because of all the old rust spots. Tomorrow I'll grab a couple of Rustoleum Hammered spray bombs and give it a nice black hammered finish. For now the oil based primer needs to dry overnight.

Not a perfect rebuild, but with that heavy boxed angle, it certainly is more heavy duty than when it came from the factory.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
Good save on the bumper, Ray.  One of these days I really should get a plasma cutter now that they aren't stupid expensive anymore.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 10:20:19 PM »
Man you are creative Ray. I will 8) admit, I would have stripped the old one off and just found another in a junk yard or something. I like yours better and you saved a bunch of money too!  thumbsup2 thumbsup2
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
Good save on the bumper, Ray.  One of these days I really should get a plasma cutter now that they aren't stupid expensive anymore.

They are getting very cheap Bruce. I recently saw a 25A model at the local big box store for $249. Mine is a really cheap one from about 20 years ago, when they were first importing inverters. Damn thing works though.

Man you are creative Ray. I will 8) admit, I would have stripped the old one off and just found another in a junk yard or something. I like yours better and you saved a bunch of money too!  thumbsup2 thumbsup2

Thanks Herb -- yes, cheap is the order of the day for this truck.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 11:16:48 PM »
Soon as you are done,  got this spare I picked up,  but is down my list of got to's.   I was  under my Mazda 4x4, fuel pump quit, and found a hole in the frame big enough to put both my fists through.   Totally agree on Earl Schieb. 

What year is it John -- if it has a carburetor, you can bypass the in-tank fuel pump and just install a cheap $30 external pump. It will draw the fuel through the old pump and will last. My internal fuel pumps  quit at 27K and again around 45K miles, after which I installed a cheap Purolator external pump and it has been going strong for 251K miles.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 04:32:14 PM »
Made short work out of this one today. I needed to remove the toolbox, bedliner, sick-on decals and finally get at the rust in the wheel wells.

The toolbox has been on this thing since 1988 -- I put it on a week after I took delivery. Amazing that it still looks good and hasn't cracked or sagged. It, along with the bedliner were purchased at the local Montgomery Ward auto center at the time. Ahh, the good old days!!

Amazing what blows in under the liner in three decades -- LOL

One of the mounting holes for the box is rusted. I guess I didn't use enough silicone to keep the moisture out. The other three points were perfect.

Decals come off easy with a good heat gun -- even baked on and hardened stuff like mine.

Finally I was able to get the car into the garage and put it up jack stands to tackle the rust on the right-hand side. Pretty bad on one the section where the inner fender meets the floor pan.

The inner fender on the other hand looks great -- that fender liner sure did its job.

Bottom part of the floor pan and the fender well is totally rusted through

Just hitting it with a body hammer made a huge mess -- Rust and more Rust!!!

I cut out the most offending area and made a new 18ga steel patch.

Tacked the patch in, then stitch welded it up and went on my way -- no grinding or blending. Just the patch and the welds; that's good enough for this Earl Scheib job.

I put some self etching primer on it and a few coats of black paint, then after it's dried overnight, I'll throw on a thick coat of sealer and undercoat.

The whole patch job took two-and-a-half hours -- DONE. Tomorrow I'll patch up the other side.

Just call me Earl Scheib Junior!! -- Earl used to advertise that he'd give you $10 free metalwork with a paint job. I guess this metalwork is worth about $10 a side. -- LOL

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »
Is Earl Scheib still around? I had them paint a '56 Chevy back in 1965.
Back then, the base price was 19.95 dollars.
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
Is Earl Scheib still around? I had them paint a '56 Chevy back in 1965.
Back then, the base price was 19.95 dollars.

Yes, and no. Earl Scheib Inc. closed a lot of their franchised and corporate stores during the late 1990's. Earl died in the 1990's, so I guess the company was struggling. That said, there are a few franchise owners still running under the Earl Scheib banner -- here in the DC area we have about two or three outlets, and up in PA there are several more.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
On a patch like you did there on the inner fender well Ray I have de-rusted with a metal etch, then once dried applied the really goopy and thick roof tar. I have used it on the inside of rocker panels, the back sides and also cab corners underneath on the inside. Worked great for me. Smells to high heavens for a few days but once dried wears like iron.

I cannot say that I ever discussed the use with anyone but my results were good.  shrugx

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
Thanks Herb -- yes, the rough patch will get a thick coat of tar undercoat and a rubberized spray coat on the inside.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »
On a patch like you did there on the inner fender well Ray I have de-rusted with a metal etch, then once dried applied the really goopy and thick roof tar. I have used it on the inside of rocker panels, the back sides and also cab corners underneath on the inside. Worked great for me. Smells to high heavens for a few days but once dried wears like iron.

I cannot say that I ever discussed the use with anyone but my results were good.  shrugx
My grandfather would use the same thing.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »

Sounds like me and yer gramps would have gotten along well Mudman!   beerdude beerdude

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »
Managed to stay the course and complete the driver's side. It wasn't as bad as the passenger side, but it was a lot of smaller patches and hence it was much more "fiddly" to deal with.

First the interior was cut out with the plasma torch and a new patch fit over the hole.

The exterior was riddled with small rot holes that ate into the double wall. I cleaned them and sprayed with rust eater, the welded small patches over them.

Finally I sprayed everything with bedliner paint and undercoat. Once it's cured I completely goop it up with a tar compound

Per Earl Scheib, that takes care of the $10 dollars of "free" metalwork per side. I can now start to sand, fill and prime as necessary.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
Good job on the patchwork Ray.  You have the Astro light I want.  How do you like it? I dunno what it cost you but the cheapest I've seen the 40SL is around $80 on Amazon.  Is it worth it to you?
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »

Sounds like me and yer gramps would have gotten along well Mudman!   beerdude beerdude
He was just a farmer that lived through the depression. Never threw anything out until it was absolutely useless.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »