Author Topic: Toyota T100 uh...”resto”  (Read 1277 times)

Offline BCexplorer

Toyota T100 uh...”resto”
« on: December 23, 2017, 03:33:25 AM »
Preamble...    I love toyota 4x4s, which is common in B.C for outdoor enthusiasts, as fullsizes are just a bit big for the terrain, plus reliability for lack of ammenities, 3rd world gas quality (and expensive) and such. Anyways, A few years back 2 kids meant I needed something bigger than my beloved compacts, so I got this T100 as a beater. I put a 20$ rear axle seal in it which was the only investment besides oil, filters and gas, and got 60-70000 kms out of it in Northern B.C. Later we moved south to civilization, and about when my wife wanted a smaller vehicle, and I wanted her jeep, the Big T started sputtering on the way home from work one day...

So off went the bed. Every bolt broke. Note the small beach toolbox i was working out of. This was about the time I found garage journal, and then this site, when looking for info on tool brands...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:36:46 AM by BCexplorer »

Offline BCexplorer

Re: Toyota T100 uh...”resto”
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 03:42:33 AM »
Also of note for the last post, the dirty rear wheel. That is gear oil, the seal i replaced did not last. At the time i tapped it into place with a drinking glass that was the right diameter. It broke and i think damaged the seal. I should mention Im not very bright. Creative maybe, but bright...no huhwtw

Anyways, replace fuel pump, but that wasnt the issue, it was actually a rusted fuel line. I should have noticed the paint eaten away...

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:55:27 AM »
New bracket and line assembly from Toyota and good to go. I had planned to get it running and sell it for a dream musclecar or landcruiser project, but my kids said no. They liked this old heap. I had dreams of taking them to car shows in a classic, cruising to D.Q for ice cream, but they said that was boring. They like dump runs, going fishing, driving around in the hills looking for landscaping rocks, canoeing, etc. So the direction of this project was decided.   fishcaught 

Off into the garage...

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 04:01:50 AM »
Now, in the northern Canadian winters, distances between anything are long, and we would usually take the truck, as it was our sacrificial lambto save wear on our Jeep, so it was in sad shape. Not as bad as east coast road salt eaten vehicles though (probably because we barely maintain roads out here = no salt)

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 04:09:00 AM »
So i put a wire brush on an angle grinder, got the bad parts looking like this, saturated it in rust converter, then rattle canned trmclad on it.

By the way, all criticisms and tips appreciated, that has alot to do why I am posting this here. I admit I have much to learn. So far this is all too familiar territory, but Down the road I am going to be seeking plenty of advice...

Also, the old miller thunderbolt behind was picked up off a retiring coworker for cheap. Ill be using that later...

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 04:23:16 AM »
So then..life got in the way, a rat moved into my poor trucks cowl and made a nest, i had to make stairs for my house, countless other projects.  Landscaping, deck, fence. Plumbing! At somepoint I ordered some 2” body lift blocks, got some bolts and threw a little lift in the truck...
But I was depressed. I took too much on. Our house was a dump, I had lots of great plans and I had to realize tough facts, my energy and skill levels did not match my ambition levels.

Body lift

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 04:30:53 AM »
This summer, I realized I was depressed and needed a balance. So I got back into the truck (which is part of my fun). I found a flatdeck that was perfect width for a 200 bucks.

By the way, over this time I had been scouring pawn shops, flea markets, and classifieds, so my tool collection is getting decent...

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 04:37:23 AM »
Spent some time on youtube learning about welding. The miller I picked up is an AC only unit, but by most acounts, if you can master that,other methods are a breeze. I do like a challenge. thumbsup2
I have welded in the past, and owned a 120v 99$ princess auto special flux core mig.

So yeah, it was a challenge. After some practice, i shortened the bed 8” and set about making a custom canoe rack.

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 04:41:21 AM »
Some mistakes, nothing a grinder cant handle. Fun as can be and even my wife notices Im slowly getting back to my normal self   runforhills  panicx

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
And thats where we are now. I want this to be done late spring, to take my family to a drive in movie, hang out on the flat deck, etc.

Here are some past Toyotas of mine.. I like exploring abandoned mines and ghost towns

Offline BCexplorer

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 04:59:35 AM »
This is an abandoned “steam donkey” steam powered generator (I think) / abandoned mine in the Kootenay region of our province.

In the next two weeks I hope to get the deck finished, painted and mounted. We will see.

Then Its time to think about paint for the truck... panicx panicx

I have been researching the “50$ tremclad / rustoleum paint job that you apply with a roller... facepalm1

I will update as I progress...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:17:48 AM by BCexplorer »

Offline fordtoy1

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Sounds like fun, I'm waiting sharepopcorn sharepopcorn sharepopcorn!

Offline Barks

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
The house got painted.  Why not the truck?

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
 sharepopcorn sharepopcorn  you got some cool places to explore. thumbsup2
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
Great project, and thanks for posting the wonderful pics. As long as your frame is in decent shape, everything else is fixable.

Good luck!!!

I always liked the T100. It was a larger mid-size truck that didn't have the bulk of the true full-sized American offerings.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:54:51 AM by goodfellow »

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »