Author Topic: Found Some Pics of My Old Pickups Now Long Gone  (Read 466 times)

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
Found Some Pics of My Old Pickups Now Long Gone
« on: April 02, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
1950(49 build features) GMC 102-22 1/2 ton long bed (GMC only option), 228 cu in 6 banger (with pressure lube), sm420 4 spd, enclosed torque tube driveline, 6V positive ground, bone stock original.

I bought this pickup when I was 16 as a pile of parts all taken apart, at a yard sale for $600. Put it all back together over a couple years. Sold it a few years back because I coundn't stand watching it rust outside anymore.

1958 Chebby Apache 32 long bed fleetside. First year factory 283 V8, sm420 4 spd, big window.

I bought this pickup of CL when I was about 18 out of the garage of an estate for $2100. It had been sitting for 12 years. Put clean gas in it and drove it 75 miles home. Selling it was one of the biggest regrets of my life. It went away in 2010 and I struggled to get $2000 plus a junk welder in trade for it. Someday I hope to own a similar one again. One of the best looking pickups ever made IMHO.

And something more Stik9 style...

1980 Datsun diesel. Bought it out of the newspaper classified for $250 in hopes of robbing the engine for a 4X4 I had blown up. It ran too sweet to murder. Ended up driving it for like 6 years short tripping it to work. None of the gauges worked, but best estimate was about 45 mpg. 5 spd OD had no trouble going highway speed. Only problem it ever had was the leather diaphragm in the atmospheric throttle ont eh pump got a hole in it and it took 6 months to find a NOS replacement on a shelf at some little supply house in Nebraska. It had been wrecked and welded back together at least twice. The odometer showed 275k and hadn't worked in who knows how long. I figured it had north of 500k on it, and still purred along. It needed stem seals and a valve job, but that got ignored by pouring gallons of oil in it instead. They'd never sell new cars if they lasted like that POS did.

I nicknamed it the T.U.R.D. (Totally Undesirable Ratsun Diesel). Sold it to some hippy prepper for $600. I'm sure it's still kicking.

(Yes, I put a straight pipe stack on it)

Adventures in Oregon, the West Virginia of the West Coast.

Greyson

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
Re: Found Some Pics of My Old Pickups Now Long Gone
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
Nice old trucks.  didn't remember Datsun's having a diesel but it doesn't surprise me that is lasted a long time.  Likely used them in a lot of industrial applications and were well time tested.  And of course you put a stack on it lolx
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 03:28:16 PM »
I bought this pickup of CL when I was about 18 out of the garage of an estate for $2100. It had been sitting for 12 years. Put clean gas in it and drove it 75 miles home. Selling it was one of the biggest regrets of my life. It went away in 2010 and I struggled to get $2000 plus a junk welder in trade for it. Someday I hope to own a similar one again. One of the best looking pickups ever made IMHO.

If you do ever get to own one of those again I think you will probably have to pay at least double, or possibly triple of what you got for that one to replace it with another in like condition to that one! It was a steal when you sold it. Around here a truck like that would certainly have sold for double or more than you got, and I mean in 2010 dollars, not 2018 dollars.

You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline gtermini

• Imgur Picture Dump
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »
Buck, don't take this the wrong way. Everybody always says something along those lines about them being worth a ton, but I think few have been in the position to sell something similar.

It took me almost 2 months to move that Apache. I started at $4500 and ended up taking $2k cash and a pos lincoln 255 mig welder (worth maybe $500 tops). I had maybe 4 guys come look in that time. It was on PDX CL with the pictures you see here. It's a odd deal selling old rigs like these. For the most part, they are not daily drivers. The people that say they want them don't have the jingle for a rig that just sits most of the time, and the big boys buy much nicer ones all fixed up for orders of magnitude more money.

The 50 Jimmy went for $1900. I had $7500 invested (lots of spendy, hard to find oddball parts). It took 3 weeks to sell in 2014. Same deal as the apache. I think it was going to get chopped up and hot rodded, which hurt a little, but it wasn't mine anymore.

I agree the old pickup market has blown up some, but most of the guys selling are on crack. There are still tons of deals if you watch religiously and have cash ready to go. My next one will have a Cummins and gears that'll do highway speed, so I'm sure it'll cost a ton more.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 04:18:12 PM »
Beautiful trucks Greyson!! I agree that the pickup market has gone "gaga". When I had the lawn and landscaping guys over two weeks ago they were a crew of four, and three of the four tried to get me to sell the Mazda 4x4 -- offers were between $3000 and $4000. These guys are low wage Hispanic immigrants and they were willing to part with some hard earned cash for a 30 year old pickup truck -- It blew my mind.

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »
That Datsun would fit right in around here in Pennsyltucky

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:58:50 PM »
Buck, don't take this the wrong way. Everybody always says something along those lines about them being worth a ton, but I think few have been in the position to sell something similar.

It took me almost 2 months to move that Apache. I started at $4500 and ended up taking $2k cash and a pos lincoln 255 mig welder (worth maybe $500 tops). I had maybe 4 guys come look in that time. It was on PDX CL with the pictures you see here. It's a odd deal selling old rigs like these. For the most part, they are not daily drivers. The people that say they want them don't have the jingle for a rig that just sits most of the time, and the big boys buy much nicer ones all fixed up for orders of magnitude more money.

The 50 Jimmy went for $1900. I had $7500 invested (lots of spendy, hard to find oddball parts). It took 3 weeks to sell in 2014. Same deal as the apache. I think it was going to get chopped up and hot rodded, which hurt a little, but it wasn't mine anymore.

I agree the old pickup market has blown up some, but most of the guys selling are on crack. There are still tons of deals if you watch religiously and have cash ready to go. My next one will have a Cummins and gears that'll do highway speed, so I'm sure it'll cost a ton more.

Greyson

Region might have something to do with that too. Being in KS things might be totally different than where you are. I will say this. I watch CL in my region really close even though I am in no position to buy any vehicles right now. I do not recall ever seeing a deal like that on trucks like you had at the prices you mentioned. Sometimes I think to get the full value out of vehicles like those you often have to wait a very long time.

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline bmwrd0

• Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »
I used to have one of those Datsun Diesels, an '82 king cab. The only problem with it was the throttle solenoid stuck open so I had to drag the clutch at stop lights to let you pull away. Drove at 85 perfectly, no faster no slower.
Aaron

Guns and Books and Tools

Member of The International Society of Luddites (Unrepentant Chapter).

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
I started out driving a 55 Ford P/U that had been my brother's first truck. It taught me tons about working on a vehicle to keep it running. I needed a P/U to haul the swimming pool cleaning equipment and chemicals as I had to clean pools after school and on Saturday's if I wanted a vehicle to drive. The only problem when I first started driving it was the looks I got from the local cops as I went by. My brother had established quite a legacy while driving that truck in school.
It is now slowly returning to earth north of here where my brother parked it in the 90's. His widow won't part with it.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 11:16:48 PM »
Really like that Apache.  Got one out back that is moving up on my list.  Hasn't ran since the 70s.  Got a friend with a batch of them old Chevys,  finally realizing its time to move them on. 

Offline scooterfish

• Bail out Studebaker
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
If it`s yours or your friends that is a good stach in the pic.  thumbsup2
The thing I like about old cars/trucks is the extraordinary lack of plastic.

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
That is my friends stash,  he is grouping his stuff, and that is only a part of it.  He currently drives a 53 Chevy shortbed on an S-10 chassis.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
Those old cab overs bring a pretty penny these days.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »