Author Topic: My New Truck (Lots of Pictures)  (Read 551 times)

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
Re: My New Truck (Lots of Pictures)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
How are the trannys in that generation of truck?  That is my biggest fear with Dodges.

I think by that time Dodge had most of their tranny bugs worked out. Lots of issues with late 90’s trucks, but by the mid 2000’s they were fine as I recall.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »
Never had that body style Dodge. I had the one before it and the one after it, but not that one. You really lucked out finding a pre emissions 5.9 in that condition. Ford was plagued with the 6.0 and 6.4 problems throughout most of the 2000’s, so you’d have to go back to a 2003 7.3 truck to get a comparable Ford and there aren’t many left with that much life left in them.

A lot of older guys are still leery of Dodge because of the quality issues of the past, but I’ve had 3 Rams (1 5.9 and 2 5.7’a) and put a lot of miles on them and never had a single issue.

Nice truck man!

I drive a 6.0, people are always beating up on them and labeling them junk. Mine has 188,xx on it now and I have no complaints. I got lucky though, I wanted another 7.3 and it had to be a ZF6 but found my current truck on a lot. A older man had ordered it to pull his camper, I opened the hood to find labels on everything with date checked or when a fluid had been replaced. Digging in the truck I found a not book with everything from oil changes to windshield replacements. The guy was very particular about his truck.

Cummins, Dmax, or Powerstroke maintenance has a lot to do with its long life or not so long life. I would take some oil samples and send them off when you change it. I have been playing with my oil with great results. I switched to pure synthetic and have extended my changes with samples, I am currently changing my oil at 15,000 miles with a filter change at 7500 and the samples are coming back great. The oil cost twice as much but you can run it 3x longer. We have run it in semi truck for years and one of them has 1.8 million miles with no engine failures.
Also make sure you check all of the fluid levels in the axles, tcase and transmission. If you do lots of heavy pulling I might even change the axle to full synthetic as well.  Enjoy  beerdude
-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Looking for a SK raised panel 1/2 combo wrench

Offline john k

• Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 11:02:13 PM »
The tranny issues were mostly in the shifting protocol.   Too many owners ran them in OD when pulling, and the trans would beat it self and get hot by shifting in and out of OD every few seconds.   They had the computer revamped to shift when the throttle pressure and speed were such that it stayed in some gears longer. 

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 02:06:03 AM »
Never had that body style Dodge. I had the one before it and the one after it, but not that one. You really lucked out finding a pre emissions 5.9 in that condition. Ford was plagued with the 6.0 and 6.4 problems throughout most of the 2000’s, so you’d have to go back to a 2003 7.3 truck to get a comparable Ford and there aren’t many left with that much life left in them.

A lot of older guys are still leery of Dodge because of the quality issues of the past, but I’ve had 3 Rams (1 5.9 and 2 5.7’a) and put a lot of miles on them and never had a single issue.

Nice truck man!

I drive a 6.0, people are always beating up on them and labeling them junk. Mine has 188,xx on it now and I have no complaints. I got lucky though, I wanted another 7.3 and it had to be a ZF6 but found my current truck on a lot. A older man had ordered it to pull his camper, I opened the hood to find labels on everything with date checked or when a fluid had been replaced. Digging in the truck I found a not book with everything from oil changes to windshield replacements. The guy was very particular about his truck.

Cummins, Dmax, or Powerstroke maintenance has a lot to do with its long life or not so long life. I would take some oil samples and send them off when you change it. I have been playing with my oil with great results. I switched to pure synthetic and have extended my changes with samples, I am currently changing my oil at 15,000 miles with a filter change at 7500 and the samples are coming back great. The oil cost twice as much but you can run it 3x longer. We have run it in semi truck for years and one of them has 1.8 million miles with no engine failures.
Also make sure you check all of the fluid levels in the axles, tcase and transmission. If you do lots of heavy pulling I might even change the axle to full synthetic as well.  Enjoy  beerdude

What particular oil and filter are you running?
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »

What particular oil and filter are you running?

I always run OE filters on equipment, in this case Motorcraft FL2016.
We have ran this product in our semi trucks and farm tractors for years with great results. http://www.schaefferoil.com/700-durability.html
Dad has a local rep, which was always nice. He would pick up the phone and help us out if we where ever in a bind for more product on a Saturday or Sunday. I have been buying online since I haven't been able to contact a local rep.

-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Looking for a SK raised panel 1/2 combo wrench

Offline LukeOresk

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »
I always run OE filters on equipment, in this case Motorcraft FL2016.
We have ran this product in our semi trucks and farm tractors for years with great results. http://www.schaefferoil.com/700-durability.html
Dad has a local rep, which was always nice. He would pick up the phone and help us out if we where ever in a bind for more product on a Saturday or Sunday. I have been buying online since I haven't been able to contact a local rep.

I'll have to look into sending in oil samples, and I believe my brother uses Schaeffer in his equipment. I'll be talking to him about that.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:25 PM »