Author Topic: New member from Michigan  (Read 216 times)

Offline Jagxke

New member from Michigan
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »
 Hello All,
I am a new member who is in the process of restoring a 1965 Jaguar XKE.  This will be a challenging project.  I have stared on the bonnet and it has already consumed  about three times the amount of time I had projected. I am only  about half way through restoring the bonnet.  I have discovered more hidden rust etc. than the paint, bondo  and appearance would let anyone see.  I am perfecting my TIG welding skills by practicing  for 1-2 hours daily.  Although I think it will be some time before I reach the level of skill I aspire to.  My background is more mechanical than body work.  I did pick up a copy of 
"Automobile Sheets Metal Repair" by Robert L. Sargent (2nd ed.). I found this very helpful for the beginner.  While I have made mistakes too numerous to mention I did have one significant set back.  A racoon got into my workshop and my dog chased him everywhere but to the exit.  Parts of the bonnet were knocked kiddy wampus.  This added greatly  to the dent repairs.  I have come to learn the true meaning of perseverance.  I enjoy this website and have found answers to questions I didn't even know about.  Looking forward to being able to reciprocate.
Andy

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
Re: New member from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Hello All,
...........This will be a challenging project.  I have stared on the bonnet and it has already consumed  about three times the amount of time I had projected. I am only  about half way through restoring the bonnet...........

Welcome Andy! -- as in most cases when working on an E-Type, the amount of time, money, and effort is much more than originally planned for or budgeted. I feel your pain, and good luck with the bonnet.

If you feel so inclined, please post some pics of the project; we'd love to see the progress.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
Hello Andy and welcome.  Goodfellow here is a depository of info along with lots of other members and are happy to offer  advice to help you go in the right direction.
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

We'll see you on the road like we saw the Nightrider!

We remember the Nightrider! And we know who you are, Bronze!

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »
Former Michigander from Lansing here.  Michigan has much to offer if you like the outdoors and all 4 seasons.  I'd move back if the Auto Insurance wasn't the most expensive in the Nation.  I still may get a place in the Upper Peninsula.

Welcome.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:28:36 PM »
Welcome, glad you joined. I hope you enjoy the place.  thumbsup2
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:27 PM »
Former Michigander from Lansing here.  Michigan has much to offer if you like the outdoors and all 4 seasons.  I'd move back if the Auto Insurance wasn't the most expensive in the Nation. 

Probably because the roads are like a third world country!  angryguyx
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

We'll see you on the road like we saw the Nightrider!

We remember the Nightrider! And we know who you are, Bronze!

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 09:53:27 PM »