Author Topic: Tell me about 1999 Chevy Blazer, 4 door, 4WD  (Read 1291 times)

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Grumpiest Hippie
Re: Tell me about 1999 Chevy Blazer, 4 door, 4WD
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2018, 10:11:19 AM »
I stayed stock when I did mine. One of the online retailers had a clearance going on and it was less than half price.
Tool do job = Good tool
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. Robert A. Heinlein
Rusty's Forum

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
Nice looking old blazer. Hope you get it sorted out without any trouble.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2018, 11:06:09 PM »
Nice looking old blazer. Hope you get it sorted out without any trouble.

Thanks, I am fairly sure that replacing the spider, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator along with cleaning the MAF sensor will have the old girl galloping down the road a little cheaper on gas, and much better on performance. Like as not plugs wires and radiator hoses will also get replaced in the next couple of months too.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 12:32:10 PM »
Called the dealer this morning. Cost of the spider injectors was about $200. If I paid a mechanic the cost would be about $200 in labor for a total of $400 parts and labor. The warranty said 50/50 split on parts and labor for the first 1000 miles. So the guy ordered the part I selected from RA and is having it shipped to me. I take care of the install. I am totally happy, I don't care if it costs him a lot less either. If I was handling it the cost for parts alone would be a bit over $200 which means AFAIK he is paying what would be roughly half the cost which was the original deal so he is making good on his warranty.

Stupid me. I forgot to include the new gasket set for install, roughly $30.00. I will just buy that and not call the guy back. I would feel like an ass calling back about that. It would have been different if I had mentioned it during our first discussion, but oh well.

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2018, 02:57:05 PM »
Called the dealer this morning. Cost of the spider injectors was about $200. If I paid a mechanic the cost would be about $200 in labor for a total of $400 parts and labor. The warranty said 50/50 split on parts and labor for the first 1000 miles. So the guy ordered the part I selected from RA and is having it shipped to me. I take care of the install. I am totally happy, I don't care if it costs him a lot less either. If I was handling it the cost for parts alone would be a bit over $200 which means AFAIK he is paying what would be roughly half the cost which was the original deal so he is making good on his warranty.

Stupid me. I forgot to include the new gasket set for install, roughly $30.00. I will just buy that and not call the guy back. I would feel like an ass calling back about that. It would have been different if I had mentioned it during our first discussion, but oh well.
Yes, fairness goes both ways.  I wish more people would realize that.

With the history of issues regarding the spider system, the years and mileage on your truck and codes that indicates you are getting unmetered fuel you are on the right track.  Keep us up-to-date.
_Nick
vwradios.com

Online Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2018, 04:22:51 PM »

See what shows up from RA. Since the guy is a mechanic he may have realised you forgot the gasket set and added it to the order.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »

See what shows up from RA. Since the guy is a mechanic he may have realised you forgot the gasket set and added it to the order.

I won't hold my breath, he is still a dealer. I have no complaints, but he had to know what was wrong with that. I would say if he did not already know he would not be much of a mechanic. Like I said though, I have no complaints. What things I have found are not huge, mainly little fiddly crap like the outside mirror switch needs replaced and stuff like that. Things that I can fix over the next few months but nothing critical like a valve out, or hemorrhaging oil, or a slipping transmission.

Mainly little stuff that just needs a little attention at 125K  The wife and I are both very pleased with the Blazer, especially the wife since she has sort of commandeered it as her own.  lolx

I have little to worry about the wife getting too adventurous with the 4WD either. I engaged it for her last night on a gravel road and I think it made her a little nervous.  lolx

Offline walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »
The fuel lines are under the intake ?  I guess my 6 liter must be like that also.  I changed plugs and wires at 125000 but that's it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
My 98 5.7 still has the original spider in it. I VERY carefully moved into the new intake a few years back. maybe I just got lucky shrugx
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
The fuel lines are under the intake ?  I guess my 6 liter must be like that also.  I changed plugs and wires at 125000 but that's it.

Yup, those and the fuel pressure regulator.

Offline ZRX61

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:06 AM »
I had a '03 S10 ZR5. It the 12 months after the warranty ran out it needed

2 radiators
Both Cats
Intake gasket
Rear rotors & pads (rear rotors wore out before the front pads)
Shift solenoids
Water, Fuel AND a goddamn oil pump
Drivers door window motor/mechanism
Shocks & all bushings. no-noing shit heap would bottom out of freeway bumps.
Sound system shit the bed.

The dash pad suddenly cracked into a million pieces one day, plastic shit EVERYWHERE.

That was my first and LAST  Chevy. You couldn't pay me enough to own another GM product.
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »

Yup, those and the fuel pressure regulator.

I'm no expert, but I think Walrus 6.0 is a LS engine, and the lines and FPR are NOT under the intake like the Vortec.  I changed the FPR on one of my 5.3s and it was a 5 min job.

Back to Buck's Blazer.  Nice Ride!  You can't find a vehicle of that vintage that clean here in the Rust Belt.  Recommend you replace the air filter. My mechanic's theory is intake manifold gasket failures are due to clogged air filters and the engine sucking through the gasket.  Don't know if there is any truth to that, but filters are cheap, and they do run better with clean filters.

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2018, 05:50:48 PM »
I had a '03 S10 ZR5. It the 12 months after the warranty ran out it needed

2 radiators
Both Cats
Intake gasket
Rear rotors & pads (rear rotors wore out before the front pads)
Shift solenoids
Water, Fuel AND a goddamn oil pump
Drivers door window motor/mechanism
Shocks & all bushings. no-noing shit heap would bottom out of freeway bumps.
Sound system shit the bed.

The dash pad suddenly cracked into a million pieces one day, plastic shit EVERYWHERE.

That was my first and LAST  Chevy. You couldn't pay me enough to own another GM product.

all within 12 months of the waranty expiring? Sounds like value engineering at its finest. facepalm1

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2018, 12:22:32 AM »
Horror stories have not dampened my enthusiasm for the Blazer so far. The injector spider has arrived. I have assembled an extensive parts list on RA for many parts that are working fine. I like to replace everything important that I expect to go out like water pumps and replace all of those parts right out of the gate. The parts will usually cost $300-500. It is worth the 100 thousand miles of trouble free driving you get after replacing those parts and changing fluids etc. In fact, I am thinking I will probably also do the timing chain and the water pump and fuel pump!  though I know of no problem with either. It is GM and has 125K on the clock, to me that is 25K past due for a timing chain, and the fuel pump and water pump will be on borrowed time!  ;) ;)

I did that with my old worn out Toyota and drove it another 140K miles before sending it down the road. Heck, I am thinking about replacing the fuel pump too! LOL  fishslap

Offline walrus

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2018, 05:28:31 AM »
No way I would change good parts for what could be junk out of the box.  Seen too much junk out of the box

I swear their ain't no heaven but I pray their ain't no hell

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2018, 05:28:31 AM »