Author Topic: Which oil filter wrench would you buy?  (Read 401 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
Re: Which oil filter wrench would you buy?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »

I was taught to install filters hand tight. And remove them with a #2 Phillips....................................

I was taught to tighten them till the gasket contacts the surface and then go about another 1/4 turn. They don't leak and I can get them off by hand. Except the old fashioned (and seems to be coming back into favor) cartridge type.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline stokester

• Airhead Aficionado
    • Classic VW Radios
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »

I was taught to install filters hand tight. And remove them with a #2 Phillips....................................

I was taught to tighten them till the gasket contacts the surface and then go about another 1/4 turn. They don't leak and I can get them off by hand. Except the old fashioned (and seems to be coming back into favor) cartridge type.
If memory serves me right AC Delco and GM trained that the filter should be tightened 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket contacts the surface.  The DuraMax diesel filters were a bit tighter.

For most mechanics hand tight is plenty.  I've had to use extreme measures to remove filters, or what remained, that were over tightened or in the case of a K&N, the socket end stripped out.
_Nick
vwradios.com

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »

I bought a strap wrench to change the oil on my first truck. My dad just shook his head, showed my how to tighten the filter by hand, and told me that if I needed anything more than my bare hand to remove it I had done it wrong. The key is to do all your own oil changes. If you let someone else mess with it. You can be in for a real battle the next time.

Offline strik9

• semi reformed turd polisher
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »
I probably do more oil changes than most here and only an AZ special filter pliers anymore.

All makes and models and no matter what gorilla installed them.  Not perfect for all but adequate for most.    Technique steps in where obstructions become a factor.

Offline Joker5906

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
I bought a chain wrench and a pair of oil filter pliers.. Im going to buy the one Buck posted with my next paycheck.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
I bought a chain wrench and a pair of oil filter pliers.. Im going to buy the one Buck posted with my next paycheck.

I think the coil type is made in several sizes these days.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »
I have several kinds - strap, wrench, ratcheting. never know whats going to work, so, I keep a variety handy.

Been thinking about just going to K&N as they have a 1" hex nut welded on to the end of the can. Got a Bonney 1" socket and combo wrench ready to go for those.

This is what I've done.  I've had too many times when either I didn't have the right size oil filter strap wrench despite having several, or where the position of the filter relative to all of the other stuff made getting a strap wrench on difficult to impossible.  Just this past week I did my first oil change since buying my 2015 Nissan Frontier and same problem, strap wrenches wouldn't fit, ended up partially crushing it and then I could make one grab enough to spin it off.  Replaced with a K&N, and I have a bunch of different ways to fit onto that hex head depending on what's in the way.

Obviously this doesn't help Joker5906 if he's having to contend with whatever rolls into the shop, for what it's worth.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 04:06:07 PM »