Author Topic: Pawnie finds: 5-15-18  (Read 343 times)

Offline bonneyman

• Knows what a screwdriver is
  • A workman is worthy of his wages
Re: Pawnie finds: 5-15-18
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:46 AM »
Interesting read. Do you encounter any of the larger cores on HVAC equipment? Or those damn "primary seal integrated valves" mobx

Personally, no. I have seen others working on like cars and bigger units that have special gauge connectors - I'm assuming they're for special valve cores so not just anyone can access the system. The Schrader article was too long to read last night, but - what I did gather was - man, there's ALOT of freaking valves out there now!

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »
Personally, no. I have seen others working on like cars and bigger units that have special gauge connectors - I'm assuming they're for special valve cores so not just anyone can access the system. The Schrader article was too long to read last night, but - what I did gather was - man, there's ALOT of freaking valves out there now!

In automotive applications the larger cores go in standard, aside from the core thread, R134A ports and work with regular R134A hose connectors. They require larger core removal tools but other than that they're no trouble.

The "primary seal integrated valves" are a major PITA. When they start leaking you've got to recover the system to replace them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »

In automotive applications the larger cores go in standard, aside from the core thread, R134A ports and work with regular R134A hose connectors. They require larger core removal tools but other than that they're no trouble.

The "primary seal integrated valves" are a major PITA. When they start leaking you've got to recover the system to replace them.

OK, so that's what these adaptors are. R134a access ports to R12 hoses.

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »

They're not like any R134A adaptors I've ever seen. Hard to tell what they'd be from that angle headscratch shrugx

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 06:53:55 PM »

They're not like any R134A adaptors I've ever seen. Hard to tell what they'd be from that angle headscratch shrugx

Hmmm. I'll try and dig 'em out and get some more pics.

Offline slip knot

• Hunt and peck king
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:18:31 PM »
All of the 134A fittings I've run across are snap on type couplers. What you may have are adaptors. IIRC Ford had some squirley high side connectors that needed an adapter to get back to 12
Started with nothing and still have most of it left.

When did the American Dream become an entitlement program?

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 03:11:02 AM »
Took a couple pics myself. Automotive R134A access port fittings. Service couplers from my valve core tool kit so they don't have the schrader depressors. And a pic of my valve core kit showing the relative sizes.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
Took a couple pics myself. Automotive R134A access port fittings. Service couplers from my valve core tool kit so they don't have the schrader depressors. And a pic of my valve core kit showing the relative sizes.

Freakin' nice kit there!  thumbsup2

Been thinking about it. I think my adaptors were for the original R410a units. They had different sized access ports to prevent accidental hooking up of R22 hoses to the higher pressure 410a system. But the industry screamed bloody murder, so - even though somebody offered adaptors - and after a few years the manufacturers did 410a ports the same size as 22 and just put a big warning sticker on the unit. User assumes the risk kind of thing.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »