Author Topic: New (old) tool boxes, what do I have?  (Read 334 times)

Offline Motochick

New (old) tool boxes, what do I have?
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
Hello all, I am new here and just got my hubby some old tool boxes. There are 8 total boxes and every drawer was full, some tools, some test equipment, many various things. 2 of the boxes are Snap On, 1 Craftsman, 1 MBC, and the others are a mystery. The SO are from ‘63 and ‘73.  Any idea on the side box, roll cab, red 2 drawer, and top box? And yes, I know someone has spray painted the outsides of most of them, bummer, but they are going to be users. They have not been cleaned, just starting to empty them.

I can add more pics of the handles, drawers, corners, etc. for identification

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: New (old) tool boxes, what do I have?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:33:14 PM »
I bet MBC, but Snap - on  is also a possibility. Great old boxes though.  thumbsup2  Those tiny castors on that one roller would not have came original on either an MBC or Snap - on box though so perhaps I am all wet with my suggestion.  shrugx

Th roller with tiny castors looks most like Craftsman to me. The rest, including the side box and mid box look MBC to me.

You sure one is a Craftsman? None have a Craftsman look to me.  headscratch
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:40:43 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:56:01 PM »
Can't help much but in general I think Uncle Buck is correct.

I also have a 73 made KRA-377D with the optional KRA-433 three drawer set for the lower compartment.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline Motochick

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:37:50 PM »
I didn’t show pics of the SO roll cab, MBC, or Craftsman. (Can’t get those pics to upload) The Craftsman top box is quite crappy and flimsy but it was a package deal and I can make good use of it. The unmarked/unknown boxes have different sliders from the SO or MBC. The sliders are VERY similar but the way they are riveted on is slightly different. The unknown boxes are definitely well made, heavy, and the drawers slide very well for being old and dirty.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:53:38 PM »
I would guess all the boxes with the exception of the side box are MBC.  The side box may be a snap on, looks like a KR 274 I have.  I really like that top box.
This car is a pile of crap. Noisy, rattly, slow and underpowered and has a reputation for being unreliable. I want one.

We'll see you on the road like we saw the Nightrider!

We remember the Nightrider! And we know who you are, Bronze!

Offline hickory n steel

• Location: in the middle of a bunch of orchards in northern california
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 02:55:39 AM »
I didn’t show pics of the SO roll cab, MBC, or Craftsman. (Can’t get those pics to upload) The Craftsman top box is quite crappy and flimsy but it was a package deal and I can make good use of it. The unmarked/unknown boxes have different sliders from the SO or MBC. The sliders are VERY similar but the way they are riveted on is slightly different. The unknown boxes are definitely well made, heavy, and the drawers slide very well for being old and dirty.
I can't help, but gotta ask.
Is the CRAFTSMAN box you have perhaps a very dark grey with a red top ?
 that's the color of my dad's Craftsman top and bottom and it's not very sturdy,the slides for the 2 deep drawers on the bottom box won't even stay in properly.
It works though so he keeps using it.

Btw those boxes there seem great, you husband should get lots of use out of them.
" I'd rather be a hammer than a nail "

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
I would guess all the boxes with the exception of the side box are MBC.  The side box may be a snap on, looks like a KR 274 I have.  I really like that top box.

Glad I was not the only guy to NOT see any Craftsman in that mix. My thoughts were much like yours in my original reply. But given her original comment that one of the pieces was Craftsman I just tried to guess which that might be.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline Motochick

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »
Hickory, the craftsman is newer and not one of the quality ones. It is a top box with 3 bottom drawers, 6 side drawers and 3 little middle drawers and it used to be all grey but has been partially sprayed red. Nothing like the quality of the older Craftsman stuff we have. I wish I could post more pics of the other boxes but it won't let me. I'm not very good with computers, much better at jetting a 2-stroke!

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:39 PM »
Those are nice older boxes even if they have non-roller slides. Try reducing the resolution or size of the pics as it will cause problems if the size is too many KB or MB. The pics that you did post are great.

Offline Motochick

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 02:20:07 PM »
I tried a different setting on my phone, this computer stuff frustrates me. First is the Craftsman (sans lid), next is the SO roll cab w/out the bottom door on, last is the MBC side box. The original inside color is so pretty.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Spins ratchet
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »
 Welcome Motochick!  Good to have you drop in.  Glad you got the pics figured out.  Can't give any better answers on your tool boxes then what has been offered. 

I do have a question.  You said you were better at jetting a 2 stroke then with computers.  With a screen name starting with Moto, do you race motorcross?
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Alien Wizard Of Odd
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Location: About 28000 Light Years from the Center of the Galaxy. At the moment.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 02:52:47 PM »
Your KRA377D is like mine - you also have the optional KRA-433 drawer set. The cabinet came with the bottom open and there was the three drawer set and the KRA-432 two drawer set available as options.
As alien as it gets.

Whatever he is it is seriously unpleasant.    No moral compass at all, no thoughts, no guilt or obligations beyond personal desires of the moment and no debts recognised if he already has the product.

Live long and 42.

Offline Motochick

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 04:08:44 PM »
With a screen name starting with Moto, do you race motorcross?

I don't race or ride moto x tracks, but I ride trail/single track....2-strokes of course. And I bleed orange (KTM). The nickname was given to me by my surfer friends for when we went bowling on Friday nights. They never wanted to use their real names because it showed on the overhead screens, and I had no nickname. It stuck.

Thanks for the info JAFE. I am starting to go through all the stuff in the drawers, organize, clean, trash....not sure what is worse, this or actually cleaning the boxes. AND THOSE DAMN SLIDERS!!! There are like a million of them! I shouldn't complain, at least none of them were "lubed" with wax!! Today will be a short cleaning day as I will be smoking a tri tip for dinner, which is way more important.

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
did i hear smoking a tri-tip for dinner? droolx

welcome to the site and nice score on the storage!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline Chilidawg

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »
Motochick my main toolbox is an old 26" Snap-On stack from the late '70's.  As such it's all friction slides.  Mine haven't given me any trouble in 40 years.  YMMV but I think that properly cared for, they'll serve you well for a long time.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »