Author Topic: New craftsman at lowes.  (Read 422 times)

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
Re: New craftsman at lowes.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 05:45:11 PM »
I wonder what will happen if I break one of my Kobalt 90T ratchets that have a lifetime warranty. What will Lowes replace it with? As long as Lowes is in business they have to honor the warranty.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
I wonder what will happen if I break one of my Kobalt 90T ratchets that have a lifetime warranty. What will Lowes replace it with? As long as Lowes is in business they have to honor the warranty.

It's a crapshoot with this stuff DN. They will have to honor "a warranty" -- but not necessarily what you might expect. They may "legally" insist on the original receipt, or they may offer an equivalent substitute, or they may refund your money. It's never "cut and dry" with the warranty crap. That's why I never relied on warranties in a purchasing decision. 

Offline hickory n steel

• Location: in the middle of a bunch of orchards in northern california
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:20:55 PM »
I really hope they are priced well, because I don't have any metric combos and could use more wrenches in general.
I don't need anything really fancy,.I like MADE IN USA, and I happen to like the feel of Craftsman raised pannels.
" I'd rather be a hammer than a nail "

Offline Muddy

• Knows nut from bolt
  • Wrenching To Keep The American Farmer Growing
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 10:27:23 PM »
Have to go to Lowe's this weekend will see if my store has anything.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman.

"And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "I need a caretaker." So God made a farmer."

Offline Daves_not_here

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 02:41:53 AM »
I really hope they are priced well, because I don't have any metric combos and could use more wrenches in general.
I don't need anything really fancy,.I like MADE IN USA, and I happen to like the feel of Craftsman raised pannels.

Check CL & yard/estate sales in your area & Sac area, or wherever you are comfortable driving to. I have found the lion's share of my tools at the above-mentioned types of sales.  th-wink

C-man RP wrenches are a dime-a-dozen around here. I have quite a few, and I don't particularly like the feel of them - I prefer the feel of Snappy/PROTO/PLOMB/BLACKHAWK etc. in my hand.  thumbsup2
David

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 03:33:07 AM »
I actually like the top section..I could place my air tools and other large items there and not have to worry about a drawer closing

Looks like it would be good for cordless tools and chargers too.

Offline scooterfish

• Bail out Studebaker
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
Strik 9 "  The money to any toolmaker isn't with 60 year olds with 45 years worth of tools in vintage boxes we bought new."

Your talking about 75 % of the members here including me.   angryguyx    lolx

Wondering off topic a bit since the Cman tool boxes were compared to HF earlier. Has anyone noticed that the famed 44 " HF roll cab is now 20 inches deep and priced at $450? I think sales will increase with young guys starting out in the trade.

The thing I like about old cars/trucks is the extraordinary lack of plastic.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »

.....Wondering off topic a bit since the Cman tool boxes were compared to HF earlier. Has anyone noticed that the famed 44 " HF roll cab is now 20 inches deep and priced at $450? I think sales will increase with young guys starting out in the trade.

It's been happening quite a while. The younger guns at the local indy shops around my immediate area have many HF boxes and use Craftsman ad HF tools

Offline highland512

• Member of NOMAAM
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »
I bought a 44” HF box 10 years ago back when you could use a coupon on them. I think I gave $200 out the door. The price was the only appeal. The $450 price tag now would have me looking at the used market, for not much more money you could find a decent MAC box.
-Matt
"I believe that the best possible social program is a job." -Ronald Regan

Looking for a SK raised panel 1/2 combo wrench

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »
I bought a 44” HF box 10 years ago back when you could use a coupon on them. I think I gave $200 out the door. The price was the only appeal. The $450 price tag now would have me looking at the used market, for not much more money you could find a decent MAC box.

Always a big used box fan here!  thumbsup2
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

NEED A 1/2" BONNEY STREAMLINE COMBINATION AND ANY OVER 13/16" TOO!

Andrew Jackson quote: But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »

well one must consider what you are getting as well. you more than  likely have the shallow crinkle finish box. the new boxes are much deeper, hold much more and have a better finish. factoring in that most things have gone up in  cost and that the box is bigger and better the price may not be that out of line.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline TWX

• Hunt and peck king
  • Voids Warranties
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »

well one must consider what you are getting as well. you more than  likely have the shallow crinkle finish box. the new boxes are much deeper, hold much more and have a better finish. factoring in that most things have gone up in  cost and that the box is bigger and better the price may not be that out of line.

I have one of the in-betweeners.  Not crinkle-finish, not the newly released deeper series.

Kept it at work for many years, but turning wrenches is not my occupation.  Kept my IT tools in it.  Worked fine for that.

It has since come home, an its drawers work better than my home 26" (mostly) Craftsman toolboxes.

Honestly I'd probably rather have two HF "44 inch" (really 41") rollaways, and to see what other intermediate and top chests I could put on them, than the 26" ones I have.  I'd probably look for full-width drawers in any intermediate chests and possibly in one top-chest.  This would give me three drawer widths and a slew of different depths.

Offline DeadNutz

• Super Hero
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
I stopped at Lowes today and they have no Craftsman and most all the Kobalt is regular price. I did notice they had no 90T ratchets in stock and the stock of some other Kobalt was noticeably less than normal.  shrugx

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 11:56:59 PM »
i know, i know.......sbd is doing exactly what they said they would do....... still don't make it right.

do it once, do it right. if you are promising us made craftsman, then do it. things are still made here. i know  there are places in the us that could crank out 3/8-3/4 and 9-19 mm wrenches within  a year. it is not that difficult. 

i am not impressed with  them so far.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline Conductor562

• Super Hero
  • Proto Junkie
    • Tools In Action
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 01:40:02 AM »
i know, i know.......sbd is doing exactly what they said they would do....... still don't make it right.

do it once, do it right. if you are promising us made craftsman, then do it. things are still made here. i know  there are places in the us that could crank out 3/8-3/4 and 9-19 mm wrenches within  a year. it is not that difficult. 

i am not impressed with  them so far.

This pretty much sums up where I’m at as well. It’s progress. The tools look nice and the skys the limit as far as potential, but until I start seeing US made tools, I’ll pass.
Does the guy that dies with the most tools win?

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 01:40:02 AM »