Author Topic: Rebuild kit for Sears Floor Jack  (Read 12716 times)

Offline NC Driver

Rebuild kit for Sears Floor Jack
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
I have a 3 ton Sears floor jack that needs to be rebuilt.  Model number 214.50115.  The Sears site doesn't list a rebuild kit for this jack.  Any ideas on who may have a kit for this jack?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Mark

Offline GeorgiaHybrid

Re: Rebuild kit for Sears Floor Jack
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
Sounds like it is time to call on Hiball. He should be able to source you a kit.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:28:35 AM »
Probably need a picture to help ID the Jack for HiBall
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
Most all Sears' jacks are Chinese and they are mostly based on the old US Hein Werner design.

Look at this HF manual for their 3 Ton unit. I'm sure your jack is about the same design. The most common cause of failure are the 5 cent "O" ring seals. The "O" rings are nothing special.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/34000-34999/34271.pdf

Good luck

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:49:05 AM »
Unless the jack is one of the oldies (generally light green color as I recall) those were either Blackhawk, or Hein Warner I think. But yes, it would be quite old to be an old USA made one.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline NC Driver

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »
Probably need a picture to help ID the Jack for HiBall
Ask and you shall receive:

It is made in China, but not like the HF jacks I've seen lately.

I thought about just tearing it down and seeing if the problem is an O-ring, but if there is a rebuild kit available it would be good to have in my hands.

Thanks
Mark

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »
Yup, newer one for sure. I bet you could find the actual kit with the model and serial number at the Sears parts web site.

Offline budro6969

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »
I have the same jack,  The 1st time I used it for anything heavy it made a loud pop and pissed out some hydro juice. It was out of the 90 warranty too. oh well, I've had it about 14yrs.   I keep putting oil  back in and it does still work, I put a little lucas trans stuff in there a while ago. It doesn't leak anymore. The rubber plug crumbled on me so now I pushed a used roloc disc in there to keep the rain and crap out. Also one of the snap rings on the front wheels broke around the same time, I sort of hated that jack all this time, but I oiled it up about a month ago and it is rolling better than ever.. Yours looks alot better than mine Florida weather I guess. th-smile

Offline Hiball

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
That jack has nothing in common with a Hein Werner nor Blackhawk. Its your typical Yasui designed Import but id say yours actually uses a Poly U-cup on the Main Ram. Go ahead and try Sears but "When" you fail give me a shout and ill hook you up.

Just for future reference the Green/White jacks that Sears sold in the 70's where also Yasui designed and hailed from Japan, They did sneak in a few SJ series Blackhawk jacks in during that time frame but the JAP units where by far the Most common.

* Hiball mumbles.. Yasui based on HW. wtf sdlkjalsdkfj crazy people...grr... rawrs..

Offline NC Driver

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
That jack has nothing in common with a Hein Werner nor Blackhawk. Its your typical Yasui designed Import but id say yours actually uses a Poly U-cup on the Main Ram. Go ahead and try Sears but "When" you fail give me a shout and ill hook you up.

Just for future reference the Green/White jacks that Sears sold in the 70's where also Yasui designed and hailed from Japan, They did sneak in a few SJ series Blackhawk jacks in during that time frame but the JAP units where by far the Most common.

* Hiball mumbles.. Yasui based on HW. wtf sdlkjalsdkfj crazy people...grr... rawrs..
Tried Sears already - no joy. 

I also have a green 1.5 ton Sears jack made in Japan.  Much better than this one and have not had an issue with it from the time I bought it new in 1977.

I'll send you a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks
Mark

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:32:06 PM »
Taught me something there Hiball, I thought those green ones with the white saddle and handle were all better quality jacks. Perhaps the one I saw years ago happened to be one of the few USA models you spoke of.  scratchhead

Offline Hiball

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »
Taught me something there Hiball, I thought those green ones with the white saddle and handle were all better quality jacks. Perhaps the one I saw years ago happened to be one of the few USA models you spoke of.  scratchhead

Ive only seen (1) Green/White example come from sears that was a US jack. Well... Lemme clarify.. The owner of that jack is from the Other side and he claims it was Green and White and he repainted it Red and white. Outside of his claim Ive Never seen  one personally. It very well could have been possible and i have no reason not to believe him. The Green/White Jap jacks are far more the example that most people see and Ive repaired Hundreds of those series over the Years. Unfortunately there is no Rebuild Kits availabe but i can source all the parts with some Measurements.

Steven

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »
And that my friend is why you are welcome wherever you decide to go!  ;D

Offline Hiball

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 11:50:13 PM »
And that my friend is why you are welcome wherever you decide to go!  ;D

So you guys wouldnt like me if i didnt have eternal Jack Knowledge?  :'( . The Green/White Sears (Jap) jacks where qualilty units, They utilized Ucups and the steel fitment was 1st rate, They can be rebuild for much less than the current HF 2 ton full-size jack costs.

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
I stand corrected hiball -- thanks for the post. Just so I can get this straight; are you saying that the green Chinese Jack is based on a Japanese Yasui design? Because that Chinese Jack the OP has pictured looks like a dead ringer for the units that HF has on currently on sale. So the HF units must also be a Yasui design ripoff?

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »

Tags: