Author Topic: How much of a pay cut  (Read 798 times)

Offline Red_Snow

How much of a pay cut
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
would you accept to go from doing contract work to having a permanent salaried job?

Was just given an offer that is roughly a 30% pay cut, but would be moving back to an area that my wife and I want to get back to as well as better benefits.

Probably going to counter with a 10% or 8% pay cut and see if the man making the offer can sell corporate on it.

This will be one hard one to walk away from if they can't come up with an acceptable offer...  panicx panicx panicx panicx

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
Re: How much of a pay cut
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
Since 911 I have taken several pay cuts to remain employed. Being long term unemployed now I have had to make extreme lifestyle changes. That being said, I would much rather be happy than well paid.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline Red_Snow

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
The happy rather then well paid thing is probably the biggest factor.

Thanks for the reply.  Going to sit on this offer for a couple days and see what the second half has to say about it since its her livelihood as well.

Offline Papaw

• Super Hero
  • Tool Collector
    • Tool Talk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
When considering the pay cut, consider whether the benfits come with the new job are really better. Of course you have considered the different commute you might have, the different work schedule, and the possible lessening of stress.
If your contract job had any periods of less pay due to workload and scheduling, that could be a matter to consider also.
I bet you'll have a better chance if you can live with a 15% cut.
    Tool Talk
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
If the benefits are better and the likelyhood of not getting laid off is high, I'd say counter and see what they say.  I'm kinda with Papaw that 15% would be more sellable but if its going to be a back and forth negotiation, stick with your plan.  Is the cost of living any different where you would be moving too?  If so that would need to be factored as well.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline Tarheelgarage

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »
If you can leave with the 15% pay cut and will be happier at the new location and job, go for it.
Time waits for no one.

Offline scottg

• Super Hero
    • Scotts Tool Page
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
Depends on where you are and where you will be going, of course.
 I know a couple of school girls who pay $6000 a month rent in NYC for a small 2 bedroom walk up apartment.
  You can have the county courthouse with the big white pillars out front cheaper than that, where I live.

Also depends on the gig. Sometimes salaried means much more freedom about coming and going as long as the job gets done properly. More casual, much less stress.
 Sometimes its just an excuse to put you on 99 hours a week with no overtime.
   All just depends.
    yours Scott 

Offline Red_Snow

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »
Countered their offer with a 5% pay cut.  Waiting to hear back.  Will settle on 7-10% of they come back with that.

Its in an area that is much cheaper then where we currently live (overall) but prices are climbing as they are starting to boom again.  Gotta love the oilfield.

And talking to the man I would be working for, salaried in this case is "do as you please so long as the work is done on time"

Offline Matt_T

• Team IDIOT
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
Countered their offer with a 5% pay cut.  Waiting to hear back.  Will settle on 7-10% of they come back with that.

Their -30% offer wasn't that far out of line if you're going from cash money contractor to an employee with a decent benefits package unless you're well into 6 figures. At 5% you're trying to get a substantial "pay raise" because that don't even cover the employer side payroll taxes.

Kinda depends whether you want the benefits package because there really ain't any other advantage to being employed.

And talking to the man I would be working for, salaried in this case is "do as you please so long as the work is done on time"

I've had some of those salaried jobs before. They don't care whether you work 16 hour days during the week or 7 12s so long as the work gets done. If you know anyone that's an employee of the company you're talking to ask them what the real scoop is. Never ever take someone trying to hire you at their word th-wink

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 10:27:23 PM »
If it is a decent sized company they may be on glassdoor.com, you can look them up to see what people think of them.
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline Travo131

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
I am in the same boat. I got offered a job making around 20% less that what I make now but, I will have a company vehicle, cell phone and work about 15-20 hours a week less than what I don't now. Plus I will have weekends off and have time for my family and not have to get up at midnight to head to work.

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »
Company vehicle is worth about $7,000 a year, cell phone $40 a month as long as you can use if for personal use and the time off and weekends off sound enticing.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline scooterfish

• Bail out Studebaker
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:27 AM »
20 hrs less a week & not getting up at midnight.  Priceless thumbsup2
Use it up, wear it out, make do.

Offline spidergearsman

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 08:46:11 AM »
I think at my last job , I was a fill in , so guys can get surgery , when they came back , I got laid off

take the pay cut and get the ol lady a job , mine just sits on the couch

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I think at my last job , I was a fill in , so guys can get surgery , when they came back , I got laid off

take the pay cut and get the ol lady a job , mine just sits on the couch

Rotten SOB's weren't they!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »

Tags: