Author Topic: Elroy's "little" summer project  (Read 13367 times)

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
Elroy's "little" summer project
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
The time has arrived

Can you tell Elroy has been scraping ?

When the paint is an 1/8" thick and cracked it's got to come off. The painting part is easy. This prep work is exactly that; WORK

What a mess

And it doesn't stop at just the paint.

Elroy will be lucky to have this finished before bad weather. What a joy  :-*
I met Elroy years ago, I was not at all impressed with him, the guy was like a talking potted plant! A real Moron.

Elroy exists in a demented third person world that is void of Bull Shit and lies.

Offline Itzkwik

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: Elroy's "little" summer project
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
I feel your pain. I HATE to paint. Hate the prep work even more. :mad:
Bret

Offline Hofferwood

• just an idiot Dedicated turd polisher
  • Super Hero
  • Never miss a good chance to shut up.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
Wear a hat, use sunscreen, and take frequent breaks. Try to get help (even though 9 times out of 10 ya have to "redo")

Holy shit, I sound like an old gramma lolx
Chuck

If it aint broke, Fix it till it is!

my ebay junk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:35:59 PM »
I feel Elroys pain. Unfortunately for me I am in the same boat! However, I fortunately own enough scaffolding, planks and accessories to make the job a bit less painful!
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:10:00 AM »
I'm with there Elroy but its got to be done and will look terrific when you are finished. At least it doesn't look like you will have to be on a ladder all the time. I don't have to tell use the best paint and caulk you can afford.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:49:25 AM »
I'm with there Elroy but its got to be done and will look terrific when you are finished. At least it doesn't look like you will have to be on a ladder all the time. I don't have to tell use the best paint and caulk you can afford.

That is a given, and a great idea for a thread!  thumbsup2
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline scooterfish

• Bail out Studebaker
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:32:01 AM »
 I done some last summer & have some more to do this summer. I have always had good luck using an oil based primer & finish with latex.
Use it up, wear it out, make do.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
I have always had good luck using an oil based primer & finish with latex.

Porter Paint recommended a water based latex primer sealer. Elroy has always had good performance out of PPG products and followed their recommendation.

We're using paintable polyurethane chalk. Like the other prep work, digging out the old chalk sucks compared to applying new.

The previous property owners were elderly and employed a real hack for all their maintenance as witnessed by all the unbonded RTV we have been digging out. It's a nasy dirty job but Elroy understands the labor is cheap :-[
I met Elroy years ago, I was not at all impressed with him, the guy was like a talking potted plant! A real Moron.

Elroy exists in a demented third person world that is void of Bull Shit and lies.

Offline mrchuck

• retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »
I am facing some of the same work, but having extreme trouble finding reliable help to help me.
Nobody wants to work. Imagine that!
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Hunt and peck king
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
When the paint is an 1/8" thick and cracked it's got to come off. The painting part is easy. This prep work is exactly that; WORK

Don't feel so bad.  My house is all wood siding, and my single car detached garage is as well.  I've gone over just about the entire house...residing and repainting it the last several years.  And this fall it will be time to start again.   hidex
I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.

Offline Elroy

• "Moron"
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »
It really sucks is when it takes 3 hours to prep a spot that will take maybe 30 minutes to paint

With it being so hot, Elroy is employing the Mexican method:
Get up at 5 am hittin it as soon as possable. Work till 1 or so then it's siesta time till about 7pm and go till it's dark.

At this rate it'll take all summer. At least it's only mid-July so we got some time before the weather turns

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
Is Elroy going to strip all the paint or just the loose stuff?
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools

Offline Bull

• Chief Blackhawk
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

Don't feel so bad.  My house is all wood siding, and my single car detached garage is as well.  I've gone over just about the entire house...residing and repainting it the last several years.  And this fall it will be time to start again.   hidex

This is my nightmare.  No way in heck am I going to be prepping and painting my house, barn, and garage every five or so years.  This is why I took a risk and bought some extremely expensive linseed oil paint from Europe.  Supposed not to crack, chip or peel for decades.  The first side of my house, which is the side that gets the most sun and weather, I did three years ago, and it still looks like it is adhering 100%. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:43:02 PM by Bull »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• ran when parked
  • Hunt and peck king
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »

This is my nightmare.  No way in heck am I going to be prepping and painting my house, barn, and garage every five or so years.  This is why I took a risk and bought some extremely expensive linseed oil paint from Europe.  Supposed not the crack, chip or peel for decades.  The first side of my house, which is the side that gets the most sun and weather, I did three years ago, and it still looks like it is adhering 100%.

You think you can post some pics of that, Bull?  That I'd like to see. 

Of course, the weather is a lot gentler down here...don't have to worry about the severe cold in the winter.
I can tell you I don't have money but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:36:29 AM »
Several years ago they were advertising a ceramic paint guaranteed for the life of the house. I haven't heard anything lately is anyone familiar with what I'm talking about. Elroy if you got to strip the whole house I saw a electric paint stripper/plane on "
This ls House " a couple of years ago that looked like it made fast work if stripping ~95 % of the paint. They also showed an IR method that worked well and you didn't have to deal with all the dust. Something to be concerned about especially if there any kids around.

Here is a link talking about different methods.
http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magazine/2005/jul/exterior.shtml
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:36:29 AM »

Tags: