Author Topic: What's the best organization to donate clothing to?  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
What's the best organization to donate clothing to?
« on: July 13, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
I've got a bunch of clothing that I need to get rid of. Some of it is still new. There's the Salvation Army; the Goodwill Society; the Disabled American Veterans; and various homeless shelters.

You guys got any suggestions?

Offline eborcim

• Super Hero
Re: What's the best organization to donate clothing to?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
a non-profit charity...often times church-operated.

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:57:50 PM »
As someone who tries to shop at both Goodwill and Salvation Army, I donate clothes I no longer fit into to Goodwill. I do so because they sell cheaper and they help me more by being less expensive. Both my wife and I have trouble finding clothes that fit at either place though.
 myopinion
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline riverfront

• If and buts were candy and nuts.....
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »
Salvation Army even if it beat they have some kind of rag program that it can be used for.
Drafting services available, from your sketch to dimensioned drawings ready to use, have a full drafting department as needed without the overhead. PM or email @ rfwoodworks@gmail.com

Offline Merkava_4

• Flavor Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
Rag program? Nah, my stuff is nice stuff; I just can't fit into a 36" waist no more.

Offline riverfront

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »
Rag program? Nah, my stuff is nice stuff; I just can't fit into a 36" waist no more.

Wasn't commentary on your clothes just stating SA doesn't throw any clothes in the dumpster, I'll email my dad about more info on the Rag program.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:32:17 AM by riverfront »
Drafting services available, from your sketch to dimensioned drawings ready to use, have a full drafting department as needed without the overhead. PM or email @ rfwoodworks@gmail.com

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:38:19 AM »
Salvation Army even if it beat they have some kind of rag program that it can be used for.
+1 on the Salvation Army.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline fatfillup

• numbnuts
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:26:24 AM »
I like the Salvation Army but any organization that is non profit and actively helps folks would be a good choice.  Some churches operate a clothes pantry just like a food pantry, giving to those who are in need.

Make a list of what you give, and get a receipt cause you can right it off.  Nothing wrong with Uncle Sam helping you be charitable.
That scalloped box end is one of the few BB features that doesn't make Elroy puke

Offline riverfront

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Salvation Army is one of the better National organizations to donate money to also for every dollar donated they give $0.98 to the programs and only $0.02 to admin costs, pretty good ratio if you ask me.

Not knock any local organizations if you have a local one that you like the work they do give to them, always great to give to a quality organization.

When we lived in a smaller town (2000 population.) dad was the preacher at the local Christian Church he and the rest of ministers got tired of lowlifes making the rounds and collecting from every church in town. The churches got together with the police and formed away to weed out any fraud, they had accounts at all the local businesses (gas station, grocery store, five and dime) every minister could write a voucher for anything available catch was you had to stop by the police station and get it signed by cop on duty before it was good, kept the local community chest fuller and more available to give when a local tragedy struck. After we moved to a larger town that had organizations in place dad cleared out the food pantry and cloths chest at his new church and explained to the church board that instead of having money sitting in an account for the minister to give hand outs that it would be much better giving more to the local charities that are better equip to deal with fraud and have way more services available for those in need. So when someone called dad or the church they sent them to Interserve (local food bank) or the Salvation Army. I remember some of the food in the Church's food pantry was over a decade old that was not something I would want, I would eat it if i was hungry, but it would make me feel a little more like the dregs of society than I would have felt already. I've strayed from the topic a little of clothes donation but I wanted to share why I commented as I have today and in the past, as well as how I come by my knowledge on the subject.

I'm personally not big on the Red Cross, not that they don't do good work just too high on the admin ratio and for some of their past deeds, ask a WWII vet about the Red Cross I'll bet you get an ear full. Things like selling cigarettes donated by tobacco companies for the troops to the troops.

Offline senlow

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »
I usually donate clothing to Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA).  I won't claim that it is the "best" organization for donations.  I will say that VVA makes it very easy to make donations.  They will pick up my donations.  That helps out with my busy schedule.  I just call them, and they schedule a pick up within a week.  They always pick up on schedule, and their drivers are professional and courteous.
Wanted:  Allen or Unbrako Forged T-handle Hex Keys.

Offline riverfront

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:08:46 PM »
Got the explanation of the "rag program" the Salvation Army has from my dad

"We can accept clean rags, used clothing that is no longer wearable, curtains, drapes, bedding, cloth items, etc.  Clothes that have been stored with moth balls cannot be included in the rag bundles.  We have a baler that bails them into 1500 to 2000 pound bails, and when we get a trailer load we sell them.  The proceeds are used to help fund other programs such as the food pantry, youth programs, camps, Booth Center, etc."

So I guess they keep as many cloth products out of the dumpster as they can and supporting the Salvation Army and their programs.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

• Super Hero
  • Hope,..May not be warranted at this point.
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
Got the explanation of the "rag program" the Salvation Army has from my dad

"We can accept clean rags, used clothing that is no longer wearable, curtains, drapes, bedding, cloth items, etc.  Clothes that have been stored with moth balls cannot be included in the rag bundles.  We have a baler that bails them into 1500 to 2000 pound bails, and when we get a trailer load we sell them.  The proceeds are used to help fund other programs such as the food pantry, youth programs, camps, Booth Center, etc."

So I guess they keep as many cloth products out of the dumpster as they can and supporting the Salvation Army and their programs.

Thats how it was explained to me.. I just wanted to note when you donate clothes, most of it does not turn up on some one who is at the bottom of the food chain, its sold and shipped abroad.

Some might find it offensive/repulsive, but Im so cheap, I actually buy used clothes, but not all the time. I go shopping on "Black Friday" at my Farm Store, they have a very large clothing department, and I will pick up a dozen pair of jeans, socks, underwear, and whatever else I see, and thats it for the year, no other new clothes purchases. Usually its a half off sale on Black Friday.

I used to live not far from a Good Will and shopped there. Not so much anymore, I dont live near anything now. But I do buy used clothes on ebay. The S/O does too, its not that where are dirt poor, just old school cheap.
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Offline rusty

• Bottlewasher
  • Administrator
  • Grumpiest Hippie
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
The word is frugal.  I bought a shirt at goodwill last week for three dollars. It still had most of the tags on it.

We went to k mart to find a pair of shoes for my daughter.  K Mart had that shirt for twenty eight dollars.

I prefer the $25.00 difference be in my pockets not theirs.
Tool do job = Good tool
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."
Rusty's Forum

The Box said it needed windows XP or better, so I installed Linux.

Offline Busted_Knuckles

• Super Hero
  • Hope,..May not be warranted at this point.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »
Ok, Im great with frugal, I dont do my part to keep the economy moving, but I do a great job in the secondary markets !
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Offline tkonbass

• ur2funy
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »
You guys got any suggestions?

If you have any women's clothes I would look to donate them to a local women's shelter. These clothes do tend to get used directly by the women at the shelter. These shelters aren't always easy to find as they are often trying to hide the women and kids from abusive husbands/boyfriends.
TK

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »

Tags: