Author Topic: Simple Dust Trap for your Blast Cabinet -- less than $20!!  (Read 35386 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
Simple Dust Trap for your Blast Cabinet -- less than $20!!
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:21:25 AM »
I needed a new dust trap for my cabinet so that my shop vac motor wouldn't get burned out by the blast media. I had built this "quick and dirty" model several years ago, but unfortunately I ran over the damn thing with my truck a few weeks ago.

Some of you guys might want to build one yourself -- or take the basic idea and mod it up more elegantly than me.

I all starts with a new 5 gal. bucket and air tight lid from Tractor Supply ($6.00)

Take the lid and with a hole saw make two 1" holes on opposing sides. Then use a razor knife to gently enlarge the holes to accept 1" PVC screw pipe couplings -- you'll need two coupling. Push the male portion through the lid and then attach the female end from underneath.

Make sure that the couplings are air tight through the lid. This is what you wind up with ---

Next cut a piece of 1"' pipe long enough to extend down into the bucket and allow a clearance of about 2" from the bottom.

On the other coupling just install a short piece of 1" pipe to allow for a 90 degree elbow to fit.

You're done!!!

Now --- fill the bottom of the bucket with 1" of water, put the lid on the bucket and hook up your shop vac to the short side (the one with the elbow). Take another vac hose (yes you need two vac hoses) and attach it to the coupling with the long extension. You've now created a high speed water trap!!

The dust will be drawn by the vac into the bucket and because it's moving so fast, will get trapped in the water. The elbow fitting acts as a bafffle to make sure that no splashing water in the bucket makes it into your clean shop vac hose.

NOTE: Don't fill the water above the pipe, this is not a "dust bong". If the water is filled above the downpipe, the resulting vacuum may collapse the bucket. You simply want the water to act as trap, by catching the high speed dust as it tries to escape from the bottom of the bucket.

This is what my setup looks like -- I pulled all the components from under the bench so you could see them. Normally all this spaghetti is hidden well out of the way.

.... and after blasting for half an hour you can see the crap that accumulated in the water. No dust makes its way into the motor -- that's good because blast media dust will kill a shop vac very quickly.

A word about blast media. I've used a lot of different stuff over the years, but have found that for general cleaning nothing beats the price and cutting action of Tractor Supply's "Black Diamond" 20/40 grit media. It's $7.95 for a 50lb. bag -- you can't argue with that price. It's supposed to be used with a pressure blaster, but this small grit size is perfect for quick cleaning in a standard siphon feed cabinet.

How does it work? This rear end cover was full of rust and scale. Within 10 minutes, it looked like this -- ready for paint!!

Also, this is a cheap HF style cabinet kit that has a lot of open seams once it's assembled. To seal all those seams air tight, I used a can of brush on Truck Bedliner. This stuff is tough and only costs a few dollars for a quart. You can get it at your local auto parts store. Ther is no dust leakage from this cabinet once the seams are brushed with this material -- it's tight.

Here is what the truck bedliner paint looks like, once it's painted on the inside cabinet seams --

Good luck -- hope some of this info is useful.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:08:29 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Site Owner/ Founding Spammer
  • Administrator
  • Can use hammer
  • The name of my small shop is the Skunkworks!
Re: Simple Dust Trap for your Blast Cabinet -- less than $20!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 06:53:29 AM »
I am glad you posted this one up Ray.
You boys better hold on cause i'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline pipehack

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
It's a dust bong! :)) I'm sorry.... What's a bong? O:-)
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor.... And surviving.

Offline 79pacecar

• Dallasj.com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:42:45 PM »
I built one of these after Ray posted it the first time.. Works like a dream, I don't think I'll need to find a new shop vac every 6 months or so anymore!!!

Thanks Ray!!
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

thefairlaneman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
Excellent home made tool. I use a wet and dry shop vac on my blasting cabinet and always pour about 1/3 of a quart of motor oil into help attract  the dust, Your idea is a replica in small scale to what commercial carpet cleaners use to catch the dirt and dirty water before it gets to the high powered vac...

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:09:42 AM »
This is genius. You could make a household version of this and call it a RAINBOW. Oh, wait. Never mind.

Nothing traps dust like water and it's better than my idea of setting up spray nozzles INSIDE the cabinet.  lolx

The next thing on my "TO DO" list is make a dust trap for the blast cabinet. That's right behind BUY BLAST CABINET and BUILD GARAGE.
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

"I love being purple." - Patrick the star fish

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 04:41:01 AM »

...........The next thing on my "TO DO" list is make a dust trap for the blast cabinet. That's right behind BUY BLAST CABINET and BUILD GARAGE.

bwahahaha -- that line made my morning!!!  :))   

Hope you get your wish very soon m_fumich thumbsup2

Offline mustanggarage

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
I built this exact thing for my blast cabinet about a month ago.  it was about that time that I found out where the air inlet on my cabinet was, I hooked it up and it kept sucking my glove off. :D  I did not realize there was a plastic plug on the back of the cabinet. When I did I used a 2 inch hole saw to cut a hole in it then some screw together pvc pipe fittings to make a flange that went through the hole then used one of the wifes nyon socks streched over the pipe and screwed on with a threaded coupler to use as a filter and it works like a dream.  another thing I learned was if you put to much media in the hopper the thing won't work to well.  My blast cabinet now works like a dream.

sctatcherhead yes my powder coating oven sets right next to my blast cabinet which is convenient.  yes my wife bought me oven mits for it and yes by heck I use them.   :D  It makes her happy to be able to do stuff like that for me, and I will be danged if I will discourage her.  besides they are nice to have because they are always there I am not tempted to use them someplace else.

in this picture you can see my Air net 3/4 inch aluminum air line that is hard plumbed to my blast cabinet with a small drop leg and valve to release water and the ball cock valve to shut off the air in front of the cabinet.  this was before I added the dust collector.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:37:26 AM by mustanggarage »

Offline Green95LX

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
I built this dust trap, i noticed that after blasting for a while (glass beads) that in the bottom of the bucket there was some media. Should i try to dry the media out and reuse it? Is this typical?

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »
There will be media in the bucket because of the overspray that is picked up by the vacuum; that is a normal loss. In a pinch you could try to reuse that media, but I would advise against it since the media gets trapped along wth a lot of dust and dirt. Better to take a small loss than to contaminate your cabinet.

If you're picking up a whole lot of media (i.e. a few pounds or more during a session), then you need to cut down on the vacuum pressure, or find a way to prefilter the exhaust port of your cabinet. I've seen this happen with very powerful shop vacs and one way to make it stop is to duct tape some nylon screen mesh over the exhaust port on the interior of the cabinet.

Good luck!!

Offline Frederick Flintstone

• Tool Slut
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • Former grand master curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
So Steve’s design as shown in the next thread is actually a "bong" which would work better? Do you need to provide a source for makeup air when you are not blasting?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss

MY TOY    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-digital-camo-flatfendered-tj-616304/

Offline mitch5252

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 02:42:59 PM »
I am a recent widow trying to find a new hobby - sand blasting glass! I found this thread on making a dust trap and just now finished my very own version. (wish it was as pretty as the one pictured here, but it works, sort of).

When I turn on the shop vac, the thing lets out a piercing, unbearable scream/squeal.

Any help you can give me to make that noise go away? Thanks.

Regards,
Michelle
Michelle & Abby, The Spoiled Bichon

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
I am a recent widow trying to find a new hobby - sand blasting glass! I found this thread on making a dust trap and just now finished my very own version. (wish it was as pretty as the one pictured here, but it works, sort of).

When I turn on the shop vac, the thing lets out a piercing, unbearable scream/squeal.

Any help you can give me to make that noise go away? Thanks.

Regards,
Michelle

Assuming the noise is coming from the bucket, then it could be the following.

1) You have a vacuum leak on one of your inlet/outlet fittings or on the lid itself.

2) You have the inlet tube sitting below the water line in the bottom of the bucket -- that created a dust "bong" and a huge vacuum pull which causes the noise. Make sure there is only a little bit of water in the bottom of the bucket and that the inlet tube is NOT submerged.

Good luck!! 

BTW - you said "sand blasting" -- are you using sand? If so, I hope you understand the dangers of using pure sand as a blasting medium -- even in an enclosed environment such as this media blasting cabinet dust trap sand particles can still escape into the air. If you do understand -- please excuse the question.

Offline pepi

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
Nice idea, I went this rout     it is HF money saved on the cabinet bought the collector.

I can reclaim the media and sift it, keeps the cloud controlled. Another mod  the cabinet is on wheels, roll it outside in the sun, I can see  the parts real good.
Petrolhead
I have two brains. One is lost the other is out looking for it.

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »

Tags: