Author Topic: leg pain: any ideas?  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Scout Driver

• Global Moderator
  • Hunt and peck king
  • Scout. Anything less is just a car.
Re: leg pain: any ideas?
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
I am way late on jumping into this......

Try some better shoes with more support.  I wear a pair of Converse All Stars once in awhile if I go to a carshow.  Comfy in the car, but terrible on me when standing. 

Go to a chiropractor if you haven't already.  The tendons in my left knee got stiff and sore when my back was hurting.  The chiropractor gave me some simple stretching exercises that got rid of the pain and problem quickly.  Doubt that your problem is as simple, but some stretching might at least aleviate some of the pain. 

Best of luck to you.

Scott

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
Deep knee bends gives me immediate relief so I'm sure a stretching regenemt would help.
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

"I love being purple." - Patrick the star fish

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
I tried to convince my wife that the best treatment is regular sex. She said we'd need to see about getting me a wheel chair then.
I'm not a tool addict. I prefer "Dedicated Enthusiast prone to bouts of excessive exuberance."

Offline Scout Driver

• Global Moderator
  • Hunt and peck king
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
I tried to convince my wife that the best treatment is regular sex. She said we'd need to see about getting me a wheel chair then.

:D

Scott

Offline bruudy

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 11:35:55 PM »
Totally agree with "Do you keep your wallet in your hip pocket while driving? The muscle and nerve compression from one can cause those symptoms".

Offline jabberwoki

• Doooh missed out
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 12:01:37 AM »
Pinched nerve go see a good chiropractor and a serious deep tissue masseuse (not the other type you truckers go to!)
There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

Does the need justify the want ? Or does the want suffice?

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
Totally agree with "Do you keep your wallet in your hip pocket while driving? The muscle and nerve compression from one can cause those symptoms".

My wallet is typically in the cup holder. When I'm carrying it, it's in my shirt pocket. My wallet is just a little bigger than a bank card but thicker.

The pain has developed in the back of my left leg occasionally now to but only when I sit. My left leg hurts when I sit and my right leg hurts when I stand. The only time neither hurts is when I walk steadily. I think that's a hint of some kind.

Offline brslk

• Can use hammer
  • Lackey and general stooge.
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 12:54:14 AM »
Goods shoes and look into blood clots. Happens to a lot of guys that drive for a living.
I'm just a guy in a garage with some tools...

Bruce.

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
Sciatica is the most likely cause. Now that I have insurance again, I'll be seeing my doctor about it.

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 02:09:44 AM »
Memorial Day weekend I was in Florida on the beach. My wife and I walked bare foot for over a mile in the sand. It wasn't a fast walk and we stopped many times to pick up shells. My leg didn't hurt one iota. If I had done that in the mall, I'd have been screaming in pain. I'm starting to think it's my foot ware.

Offline Scout Driver

• Global Moderator
  • Hunt and peck king
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
Memorial Day weekend I was in Florida on the beach. My wife and I walked bare foot for over a mile in the sand. It wasn't a fast walk and we stopped many times to pick up shells. My leg didn't hurt one iota. If I had done that in the mall, I'd have been screaming in pain. I'm starting to think it's my foot ware.

This I agree with.  ^^^^^

Somewhere I remember reading that a person's foot is most ideally suited to and designed for walking barefoot in sand.  So, any other surface is basically going against our design specs.  Therefore, are shoes or boots need to be up-to-par when it comes to supporting our feet.  I remember you mentioning wearing old-school Converse.  You need something more supportive!

Do some shoe or boot shopping.  Good luck and keep us posted.  thumbsup2

Scott 

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »
I quit wearing the converse style when my wife bought me some work shoes for Christmas. They don't have any special inserts though. I'm going to check out that Dr Scholls foot station at Walmart.

Offline m_fumich

• Necromancer
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 02:44:58 AM »
I have a bit of an update on this issue. It is not a foot ware issue and it's not a sciatic nerve problem. When I went to Ortho for a recheck on my shoulder, I asked the Dr about my leg pain. He kinda blew off my question at first but I pressed the issue. He did a check to see if it was the sciatic nerve and he said it wasn't. Then he said it could be something that "just needs to run it's course." I said "it's been 3 years. How long should it take to run it's course?" Then he suggested my clothes were fitting too tight on my hips an pressing on a nerve. I pointed out that I wear shorts with an elastic waistband most of the time. Then he said he'd take some X-ray's when I came back for my next shoulder recheck. I can't stand more than 5 minutes before the pain sets in. As soon as I recover enough from this kidney stone, I'm gonna schedule an appointment to see a different doctor about this leg pain. My wife said this doctor may specialize in shoulder issues and maybe that's why he wasn't any more help before.

Offline mrchuck

• Super Hero
  • retired federal ranger, 35 years
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »
I wear those Dr Scholl's sneakers that I buy from WalMart.
They cured my foot problem 13 years ago.
Gray and black color with a red stripe around the heel. I have a new pair awaiting in the closet.
But the one's I have on now are nearly new.
I'm set for life.
cannot suffer fools happily.
"Always great to save USA made tools."

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:33 AM »