Author Topic: Make your own RH lathe insert holder --  (Read 1013 times)

Offline goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
Make your own RH lathe insert holder --
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
This is a RH holder. RH often causes confusion since by RH we mean that the feed is to the left while the chip peels off to the right. Hence RH is determined by chip direction, not feed direction.

Start with a steel blank and an insert-

layout the RH pattern --

Look close at the previous pic, because here it becomes tricky!! Since were using TNMA inserts we need a 5 degree offset (just like in the other holder), but this time at a 60 degree angle. So we will need to machine a compound angle. To accomplish this I used an adjustable machinists vise. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic while machining -- but here is a pic of this vise

Set one axis to 60 degrees and then tilt the vise 5 degrees for the relief angle -- voila -- you have a compoung angle for the rake.

here is what it should look like -- 60 degrees sideways and 5 degrees tilt.

The machining and drilling process is exactly the same as outlined in the other thread. Use a fileto handfit the insert if necessary and use a loose insert to center punch the hole. Here is what you wind up with --

scribe the next cutting line to form the pocket -- 60 degrees, and make the cut.

Next, mill a 3 degree relief on the bottom for clearance.

This is what the finished product should look like

Here you have it; two indexable insert holders -- for next to nothing.

Enjoy!!!!

Offline rvannatta

• Van Natta Forestry
Re: Make your own RH lathe insert holder --
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 05:50:02 AM »
well done, though I would have used a shaper.....

calling them RH because the chips come off the right makes more sense than the way I was taught to ID them.
I was taught you ID them  by looking at the cutting end, and if holding the cutter in your hands and staring at the cutting end
it the engaging corner is to the right, then its  a  RH.

the problem with this approach is that you don't determine the RH side of a car by looking at the front of it.

Road graders can be set up either   RH or LH,  and they follow your convention...... if the 'stuff' comes off the blade on the right
its a RH hand set up,   though more subtley a grader blade can usually be set so it will extend more either to the right or the left, by rearranging the saddle a bit and they may be called   RH or LH depending whether the blade offset is configured to stick the blade out further to the left or the right.

Offline cegreen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »
Another way to remember is: with a RH tool, the cut starts on the RIGHT and moves to the left, and with a LH tool, the cut starts on the LEFT and moves to the right

-Chris

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »