Author Topic: Fairmount Tool Collection  (Read 2417 times)

Online chopper1

• Super Hero
Fairmount Tool Collection
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
There is very little chatter on here about Fairmount Tools so I thought I'd post pics of my collection.
Most of what I have was passed down from my step dad who worked at the Fairmount foundry part time back in the 50's.  I also owe a big thanks to MickeyO for supplying me with the 1/2" drive items that were strangely missing from dad's stash when he passed.
The first pic is 1/2 dr, second pic is 3/8 & 1/4 dr [quarter in the center drawer].  The rest doesn't need explaination.
mike

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you wth experience.

What an interesting story......Now it's my turn.  Once upon a time I didn't give a shit.  The End.

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
Re: Fairmount Tool Collection
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
Is that the same company that made the nice body hammers, dollies, and metal working tools?

Offline Scout Driver

• Global Moderator
  • Hunt and peck king
  • Scout. Anything less is just a car.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
No-nonsense, stout looking tools.  Very nice collection and nice history to go along with it!  thumbsup2

Scott

Offline stephen9666

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
This ratchet just sold on ebay a few days ago. The selector switch makes me believe it was made by Wright, but that is only a guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-3-8-FAIRMOUNT-3-8-RATCHET-B51-/150685825323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231593392b

Offline skfarmer

• Chickin killin dawg with more bark than bite
  • Global Moderator
  • Can use hammer
  • Cow crap kicker
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
No-nonsense, stout looking tools.  Very nice collection and nice history to go along with it!  thumbsup2

Scott
like scott said.....

wow! i can see why you collect it. so i asume whenever we find some we should see if you want it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

Offline Busted_Knuckles

• Super Hero
  • Hope,..May not be warranted at this point.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »
Nice looking collection, I dont believe Ive come across that brand before, another one to be on the lookout for !
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Online chopper1

• Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
Is that the same company that made the nice body hammers, dollies, and metal working tools?

Yup.  Fairmount was well known for the automotive working tools.
I sold all but one of my body bumping hammers and all my dollies at my last garage tool sale.

like scott said.....

wow! i can see why you collect it. so i asume whenever we find some we should see if you want it.

I find wrenches I need every once in a while but high on my want list is a 3/8" speed wrench.
mike

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you wth experience.

What an interesting story......Now it's my turn.  Once upon a time I didn't give a shit.  The End.

Offline bonneyman

• Hunt and peck king
  • A workman is worthy of his wages
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »
That 1/2" ratchet looks alot like my S-K roundhead, and the 3/8" ratchet looks very much like my Thorsen 77JC.
Very nice set of tools! thumbsup2

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
Very nice indeed, that 1/2" set looks extra specially sweet  lolx, I'm surprised more people aren't aware of Fairmount, we used to use their pump wrenches, I've seen lots of mechanics (usually truck mechanics) with their angle wrenches and their hammers and dollies are well known, wonder if they ever made Blue Point or Snap-On tools? You certainly don't run across them all that often, it's cool but hard to collect a unique brand and with the family history an added bonus.
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Offline Mikevango

• Resident flooring expert
  • Knows what a screwdriver is
  • rollin with the rench mob
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »
I have few fairmount tools. I can post a pic of them here tomorrow.

Well I'm the ghetto mechanic
There's no need for panic
I drink malt liquor for kicks
There ain't no problem I can't fix

Tools for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mikevango/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
I have few fairmount tools. I can post a pic of them here tomorrow.

You got ten minutes, we'll be waiting.

Why didn't you just wait until you had taken the pictures to post? Of course I do it all the time myself, I like to create a buzz.
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Offline BuckHenry

• Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
Great collection, Chopper, and its especially cool that you've kept your dad's tools in service all these years. You have obviously taken good care of them to boot.
"..... I would be afraid they would explode."

"You would think right. There's write-ups online, -it can be done-safely."

Online chopper1

• Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
This ratchet just sold on ebay a few days ago. The selector switch makes me believe it was made by Wright, but that is only a guess.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-3-8-FAIRMOUNT-3-8-RATCHET-B51-/150685825323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231593392b

I agree, it looks a lot like a Wright.

That 1/2" ratchet looks alot like my S-K roundhead, and the 3/8" ratchet looks very much like my Thorsen 77JC.
Very nice set of tools! thumbsup2

The 1/4 rat is probably made by New Britain.
The 3/8 looks a lot like the 1/4" Action I have, of course, made by Thorsen. 
I'm not sure who made the 1/2.  It looks nothing like any of the S-K rats I have.  I've scoured AA but haven't found anything close to the design.  One screw goes through the star selector on the back and two screw are on either side of the drive stub on the front.  Anyone have any ideas?
mike

Offline Fins/413

• A Tool whore
  • Global Moderator
  • Knows nut from bolt
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
Wow what a great collection, I've seen a few Fairrmount wrenches but didn't realize they had such a  selection. Thanks for posting.
Eric Corse
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 Ford Econoline
Wright tools
"A car without fins is just another car"

Offline lauver

• King of Typos
  • Hunt and peck king
  • PROTO BetR-Grip Whore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
chopper1,

Thanks for posting your Fairmount collection; very handsome and very unusual indeed.  I noticed your Fairmount angle wrenches are of the V-gullet design with narrow beams but the other wrenches are all U-gullet with broader beams.  I wonder if that means they were made at a different period of time or if they were made by a different OEM? 

I have a few Fairmount wrenches, but they are extremely rare down here in Tejas.  The good news is they can be had for  reasonable prices because the sellers are totally unfamilier with this brand.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:56:50 AM by lauver »
Member of PHARTS -  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

The Garage Gazette

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »

Tags: