Author Topic: Need new Oxygen, Acetylene, Argon bottles, lease or buy ? Opinions, Comments ?  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Busted_Knuckles

• Super Hero
  • Hope,..May not be warranted at this point.
My gas supplier folded, I took it in the back side for $380 in deposit, they collected the tanks, and folded, never issuing the the check, so now Im once bit, twice shy.

I need to find a new supplier, any comments on whether I should buy new bottles or lease ? Was thinking if I owned them, I could take them where I want to get filled. In the event my selected supplier jacked their rates, but some other competitor did not. That was my thinking, also cant get screwed out of my deposit again, but Ive not priced buying bottles or a lease prices in years.

Not sure what size bottles I had, they where, I dont know, 5' tall, and maybe a 12" diameter.

I need one of each, oxygen, acetylene, and argon mix for mig welding.

Any of you guys know what your paying for lease or what you paid for cylinders, or to refill, any numbers to throw out there before I go shopping, any caveats.

Im doing only repair work, so most of my gas goes to cutting (rusty stuff), not welding, and I dont do allot of Mig welding, just repair there too, not fabricating much, just a weld here and there.

Thanks in advace, BK
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
My gas supplier folded, I took it in the back side for $380 in deposit, they collected the tanks, and folded, never issuing the the check, so now Im once bit, twice shy.

I need to find a new supplier, any comments on whether I should buy new bottles or lease ? Was thinking if I owned them, I could take them where I want to get filled. In the event my selected supplier jacked their rates, but some other competitor did not. That was my thinking, also cant get screwed out of my deposit again, but Ive not priced buying bottles or a lease prices in years.

Not sure what size bottles I had, they where, I dont know, 5' tall, and maybe a 12" diameter.

I need one of each, oxygen, acetylene, and argon mix for mig welding.

Any of you guys know what your paying for lease or what you paid for cylinders, or to refill, any numbers to throw out there before I go shopping, any caveats.

Im doing only repair work, so most of my gas goes to cutting (rusty stuff), not welding, and I dont do allot of Mig welding, just repair there too, not fabricating much, just a weld here and there.

Thanks in advace, BK

I've got gas problem as well (last evenings dinner), now for problem, I'd head over to the supplier and help myself to $380 of their stuff. I have no idea of where to get gas around here. I have a set of tanks I bought years ago but I've had to pay to have them tested with each new supplier and I had to swap one out for some reason I can't recall. If you have them delivered they swap them so owning them won't work, but if you bring them in you can have your own (be sure to mark them so they don't give you crappy exchange tanks). I notice at auctions they "can't" sell you the tanks but they'll usually look the other way as you leave with them. I've also seen deals on tanks (usually with the torches) at estate sales but those would have to be tested by the supplier before filling.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:39:38 AM by Mickey O »
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Offline Busted_Knuckles

• Super Hero
The problem with helping myself to $380 worth of stuff, is they are "gone" as in a empty building. They shut themselves down, didnt go bankrupt, so I was not so concerned, had I known they where going to stiff me, I would have not returned the cylinders without them having cash there to pay me. Live and learn.
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

Offline scooby074

• Super Hero
  • I am the Stig
I own my tanks. Around here we cant own the larger tanks, only the smallest 2 sizes. I own a 8 acetylene and a 9 oxygen.

cost wise... it depends. The bottles themselves are ~150-200 each. But then its about the refills. It costs (Basically) the same to fill a large bottle as a small bottle. If your using alot of gas continually then it almost pencils out to lease a large bottle. It sucks having to fill the small bottles twice on the same project.
ambitious but rubbish

Online goodfellow

• RestroLibrarian
  • Can use hammer
Go buy the tanks if you can. As long as you have receipts and good documentation, any other supplier will refill them. I own all my tanks; some go back to 1974 and I've kept the receipts in my safe among my important documents.

I made copies of all the receipts and put the copies in plastic sheet protectors. All the copies were bound in a 3-ring binder and when I setup a new account at a  gas supplier I take the binder with me so that they know that my equipment is legit.  ---- Never had a problem with getting my tanks filled.

Sorry you got the shaft from your previous supplier -- that sucks!!!

Offline Mickey O

• Hunt and peck king
    • Eye On Lombard
The problem with helping myself to $380 worth of stuff, is they are "gone" as in a empty building. They shut themselves down, didnt go bankrupt, so I was not so concerned, had I known they where going to stiff me, I would have not returned the cylinders without them having cash there to pay me. Live and learn.

Take the copper wire, $4 a pound,  just make sure the power is off.
   Cheap Tools Are For Chumps 

Offline Busted_Knuckles

• Super Hero
Thanks for the info guys !

Offline RJAY

All states operate differently. Some will not sell you large tanks, others will give you a 99 year lease.

My supplier leased me tanks (one size below commercial) for about $60 per tank. I don't pay any fees. The advantage for me is I don't have to have the tanks re -certified and they are drop and pick.

Very few suppliers fill acetylene. They send then to a central refill company. If you don't have a back up tank you are screwed.

Check with other suppliers and see what they can offer.

The Garage Gazette

Tags: